Defense Science Board


Travel Form and Instructions

(For DSB Members Who Want Reimbursement of Travel Expenses)

To obtain approved orders/authorizations prior to travel, an Invitational Travel Order (ITO) request must be submitted 15 duty days in advance of the travel date.

Please download and complete the DSB Travel Form (ITO request) and email it to the DSB Travel Coordinator at:

(right click save link as)

CWT is the Government Travel Agency used to book Government travel and lodging through the Defense Travel System (DTS) and is used to ensure the best Government rates available to meet your travel needs. Members are encouraged to use the CWT services. However, if a member chooses to book their own travel, reimbursements for expenses (airfare, lodging, etc.) will be limited to the Government Rate (coach/economy class, per diem/lodging rate) or the actual cost; the lowest cost of the two will be reimbursed. Additionally, travel agency changes or cancellations fees will not be reimbursed.

If you are going to use CWT, through DTS, the DSB will select your flight reservations through DTS. Once your orders are completed with chosen flights, the DSB office will send you your travel orders and itinerary. If the flights chosen do not work for you, you can contact CWT at 1-800-756-6111 to change your flights. You will need to give them the record locator on the itinerary. Once you change your flights you will need to send the DSB office the new flight information. The DSB office will still need you to send the e-ticket receipt when your flights are finally ticketed through CWT.

If you decide to book your own travel or use an alternative travel agent, the authorized Government rate for your reimbursement will be listed in your travel orders. You will be limited to that rate. If there is an issue with the rate amount please inform the DSB Travel Coordinator at: so that they may assist in resolving the issue. If a member chooses to purchase a ticket over the Government authorized rate the cost difference may be the responsibility of the traveler.

Rental cars are not authorized unless preapproved by the DSB Office.

The Government only reimburses for travel between Home of Record (HoR), TDY location, and return. If a member needs to travel from or return to another location other than HoR, the Government will reimburse the lesser of the two based upon the cost comparison of authorized GSA City Pair (estimated airfare between locations) and your proposed itinerary.

Upon completion of travel, members shall submit the following required receipts listed below in PDF format within 5 business days to our Travel Coordinator at:

Required receipts:
Lodging showing paid “0” balance
Airline or Train ticket receipt (only if you paid for it yourself)
Any other individual expenses claimed $75 or more

Receipts should show method of payment (ie; cash, check, or type of credit card with the last 4-5 digits listed) and showing a “0” balance or other indication on the receipt stating it has been “Paid”.